Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A matter of interpretation - like everything

footprints in the sand

Yesterday was Poe's bicentennial. I've been pondering many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore and remembered this extract of "A Dream within a Dream":

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
I read somewhere that the grains of golden sand meant the seconds of our life's hourglass, slipping away through our fingers like dust. My interpretation is wider: the grains are everything we want to hold but can't. That is, everything we want to hold.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe not as wider as you think, or maybe wider. Who knows. And it´s not the same wanting to hold something that holding it. That is everything, I think.

    ReplyDelete