Friday, July 22, 2005

Buddhism, an iPod for free and justifications

forbidden entry to the circus
forbidden entry to the circus,
originally uploaded by slandete.

Three weeks ago I broke my iPod, accidentally dropping it while it was reading from the hard drive. As a result, the hard drive was rendered useless. I knew it was my fault, but yet I took it to the shop since it was still under guarantee. After two weeks they offered me a new iPod or a refund. Under my own interpretation of buddhism (not that I consider myself a buddhist, but I like the little things I know about their philosophy) I should refuse to accept the iPod for free or the refund since it was my fault. But recently I came across an article (in spanish) written by Dalai Lama's personal photographer in which the Lama himself saith:

"I own various precious watches; by selling them I could build cabins for the poor, but I have not done that yet. I also know that if I was a vegetarian not only would I give good example, but I would save the life of many innocent animals. Therefore, I must admit that there are contradictions in me. But my motto is: I do as much as I can, without going so far as to reach extremes."

That motto is what I will be thinking of when I get my new iPod. There is always a good excuse to do whatever we want.

4 comments:

  1. The excuse of doing anything because Dalai Lama does sounds a little deceptive to me (ad verecundiam). I would have tought that a portable MP3 player should resist a knock. It is not designed to play basketball with it, but something that is made to be carried anywhere must be solid, or at least capable of holding shaking and a little hiting with things.

    Maybe you should think on budism next time you discover a bug in the new version of the aplication at work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous27/7/05 09:34

    Yes, and not only there is always a good excuse to do whatever we
    want, but also: "do what I say and not what I do"

    I don't know enough the Dalai Lama to talk about him and surely he's a
    good person, but it has made me think about some "spiritual" leaders
    (in the general sense of the word spiritual). They can say some
    interesting things about life phylosophy, politics or things like
    that, and you think... "ok, that's good! I'll try it..."
    But, if we knew more about their real life, I'm sure than in many
    cases we'd realise they actually don't live in the way they say. Maybe
    i'ts a consecuence of the human nature... but maybe someones have a
    very good life thanks to that (in spanish: "viven muy bien del
    cuento"... ;) )

    By the way, don't feel guilty to accept the new iPod... :)
    ... it make bad to nobody, not even to the shop (and if it's a big
    shop, they already make a good profit with their sales)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My advice is get the iPOD and run!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5/8/05 08:21

    'Spiritual' leaders are just masters of the word. They are not there by their facts but because of their speeches. The Dalai Lama's story you've talked about makes me trust leaders even less than I did. I think you did it great.

    ReplyDelete