Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Life, death and mottos

detalle sarcófago Blasco Ibáñez
detalle sarcófago Blasco Ibáñez,
originally uploaded by slandete.







Remember the asleep soul
stoke the brains up and awake
contemplating
how life is passing,
how death is coming
so quietly;
how fast pleasure leaves,
how, after remembered,
it gives pain;
how, in our opinion,
any past time
was better.


(Jorge Manrique, "Coplas on the death of his father", spanish version here, english version here)

Jorge Manrique was a XV century spanish poet. Inspiration for his greatest work came while he witnessed the slow decay of his father before his death, his face consumed by cancer. He then wrote "Coplas a la muerte de su padre" (Coplas on the death of his father).
He died in 1479 victim of the wounds inflicted on him when trying to win the Castle of Garcimunyoz. In his chest was found a half-finished poem and his motto engraved in golden letters: "Neither I lie nor I repent".
All this story was just to remember that it would be nice to have some motto on the like. Not the same one because, even though I used to be very strict regarding lies (I have lied about 3 times in my life) now I am not so sure about it. As for the regrets part, it seems bold to state that I will not repent ever. There is also some saying about regreting things that you have done but not that you haven't done but I can not make sense out of it because sometimes the lack of action (i.e., not doing something) is an action itself, sometimes even more difficult.
In short, must think about a motto. I wouldn't go as far as engraving it in gold, but must have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment