Saturday, September 18, 2004

Disbelief

"(...)And neither the angels in heaven above
Nor the demons down under the sea
Can ever dissever my soul from the soul
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee.
For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee,
And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee.
And so, all the night tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling--my darling--my life and my bride,
In her sepulcher there by the sea--
In her tomb by the sounding sea."


Anabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe (you can read the whole text here; I did not find any good spanish translation, but the adaptation made by Radio Futura was remarkable - no point in including a link to the lyrics, you should listen to the song included in his album "De un país en llamas").
Update: you can download an mp3/ogg of "The Raven" read by Chris Coringe from http://LibriVox.org, just click here.

I do not believe in love or fate. This is a statement that I like to make when sitting face to face in order to see the other person's reaction. It is curious to realize that everybody believes in love but they do so because they have not given a further thought about it. What I think is that love does not exist, that it is just another conventionalism that people use to feel better. Is it not strange that many people "fall in love" with someone that seemed predestined to him/her? Does it make sense - someone is putting our soulmate in front of us - or is it easier to think like that? I think there is not only one soulmate per person but many, and you just happen to know only 2-3 of them (maybe more) in a lifetime. Then, if there is a match - that is, if the other part is single and ready and feels the same way - people just erase any other possiblity of mating and start believing in fate, predestination, uniqueness of the soulmate, etc. It is clearly make believe, it is just more comforting to think that everything was meant to be. A deceit like many others to protect ourselves from falling in the depths of nihilism (let me say hello from the very bottom).
As for love, I do not understand why there should be a specific feeling for the person that you are going to share your life with. I think love is a sort of affection that can be felt for other people. It is only for the sake of differentiation that we talk about love and friendship as 2 different things, and we consider love to be the utmost feeling, elevating it over friendship... many times it is the reciprocal affection between friends what keeps us from loosing our minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment